Thomas M. WertzAttorney at Law
Some lawyers dabble in many different areas of the law. Not so for Tom Wertz. Shortly after moving into private practice, he turned his focus to workers' compensation, and representing injured workers. Wertz quickly recognized the need for experienced attorneys in this specialized field. His commitment has resulted in a legal practice representing injured workers for more than 35 years.
His record before the Iowa Supreme Court has led to major legal changes on behalf of injured workers. These changes include:
- Compensation benefits for tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and acute psychological injuries.
- Home medical care for out-of-state injured workers. These workers no longer have to travel to Iowa for care.
- Required reevaluations by insurance companies. They must now revisit denied claims when new information is received.
- Compensation cannot be reduced because of pre-existing limitations on employment.
- College: University of Iowa
- Law School: University of Tulsa
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Iowa Association for Justice (past president)
- Workers' Compensation section of the Iowa Association of Justice
- Served as Chair for 10 years
- Currently serving on the Governing Council
- Iowa Bar Association